04 Sep FMU’s S85 Velocity Stacks On The Dyno!
It’s been a little while coming, but today we’re glad to say that we’ve got some video for you to enjoy.
The last time we looked at the project – known internally as “Project F*** You” – it was just about ready for some pictures. And now, well, it’s about that time. As with any good trumpet-shaped business that we put under the hood of various wheeled vehicles, the first step is making sure the clamps secure themselves to the throttle bodies correctly, with enough room to access all the screws and without pinching the throttle bodies too heavily.
If you seriously have not guessed what we’ve been putting together yet, here’s the answer. It’s the first one of these we’ve done, so we’re quite excited to show these puppies off. What you see beneath this paragraph is our first set of Fluid MotorUnion velocity stacks for BMW’s S85 V10 motor.
Now, if you’re not familiar with our velocity stack kits, we don’t run an airbox around the stacks themselves, therefore a solution must be found for the routing of the crankcase ventilation system (a.k.a. the PCV system). Without a replacement system, the engine will be spurting small amounts of oil all over the motor, which is not really the best way to go about things. On Friday, we covered the construction of the catch cans for this system, and after rolling the newly-stacked E64 M6 over to the dyno, we waited for fabrication to put the finishing touches on the catch can’s mounts before getting everything installed.
With the catch cans finished up, we mounted them into place. Even with a generous amount of real estate in the engine bay, we mounted the catch cans off the strut tower bar all the way in the back of the motor. This allows us to keep all the hosing for the catch cans tucked away behind and to the side of the motor, helping keep the attention focused solely on those ten beautiful trumpets.
As the title of the blog post insinuates, we did manage to grab some footage of the M6 on the dyno. Now, these stacks will require a custom-developed alpha-n ECU tune, which we are currently in the process of finishing up. These runs were recorded toward the tail end of our tune development, so it’s already making good power, but we’re not finished just yet. Once it’s done, we’ll have the car out on the road for follow-up testing, and that’s when we’ll grab all the fun fly-bys and interior shots that really bring out the character in these stacks. In the meantime, hopefully these pictures and the video at the bottom of the post will provide some insight as to just how bonkers this setup sounds.
We hope your Labor Day weekend went well, and we’ll see you back here tomorrow!